Tag Archives: Lahore in 1990′s

Sonali Musjid

View on approaching Lahore from the west

Runjeet Singh’s Tomb, Lahore, Punjab 1863

Punjab Public Library, Lahore Pakistan 1880

Two Men Sleeping on the Street – Lahore 1946

“… prostitutes peeking out from the doorways of their brothel” – Lahore 1946

Man smoking a hooka pipe as others look on – Lahore 1946

 

Street Scenes of Lahore – 1946

Continue reading

Conservation of Shalimar Garden

Among the World Heritage Sites in Pakistan, the Lahore Fort (Shahi Qila) and the Shalamar Garden have special significance; both, inscribed on the
World Heritage List1 in 1981 as a single site, represents the epitome of the
Mughal architecture of the 17th century. The palace gardens of the Lahore Fort
and the pleasure garden of Shalamar invoke the Mughal’s love for landscape
as an articulated space. The complex symbolic imagery based on the Islamic
concept of the Paradise Garden2, amalgamated with local traditions, were
the hallmark of the architectural vocabulary of the period. Built in 1641- 42 C.E. for Emperor Shah Jahan (1628- 1658), the Shalamar Garden, is located at a distance of about five kilometers North-East of the Walled City of Lahore and its citadel, the Lahore Fort.

Beginning with Akbar, each Mughal Emperor built his palaces in the citadel and
Shah Jahan contributed with his Quadrangle and its Diwan-e- Khas (Hall of Special Audience), the Khawab-Gah (Kings Sleeping Chambers), the Shah Burj and the exquisite Sheesh Mahal and that is where he stayed during his sojourn in Lahore. He would also attend to important business of the State at the gardens of Shalamar, where ceremonies were held and where the elite were honored through invitation. The Garden was also a favorite resting place in the Royal movements to and from Lahore. Click here to read complete report

Indian boys playing atop an old military cannon built in 1761 which stands on the grounds of the Jubilee Museum & Technical Institute, Prince Albert Memorial Museum – Lahore 1946


Continue reading

High Court Lahore. The Mall. Circa 1900. Taken from the Anglican Cathedral Grounds